The Organ

In 1854 the Ecclesiologist commented favourably on the organ at S Paul’s, referring to its ‘richly coloured pipes’. This instrument was made by a well-known Northamptonshire builder, George Maydell Holdich. By 1890 the organ was in a bad condition and a new four manual instrument by George Hunter of Clapham (originally water driven) was installed, built to the specifications of the then organ scholar at S Paul’s, Father James H. Le Breton Girdlestone. It was opened in August 1893, but still with only three manuals operating.

During 1968 – 70 the organ was renovated and augmented by the addition of stops onthe Great and the Pedal Trombone. Owing to water damage, the trombone was out of action between 1987 and 1999, when it was reinstated by Colin Divall.

Organ Specification

Swell
Gedact16
Open Diapason8
Open Diapason8
Stopped Diapason8
Vox Celeste8
Salicional8
Principal4
Fifteenth3
MixtureIII
Double Trumpet16
Horn8
Oboe8
Clarion4
Great
Double Diapason16
Large Open Diapason8
Small Open Diapason8
Stopped Diapason8
Hohl Flute8
Principal4
Flute Harmonic4
Twelfth2⅔
Fifteenth2
MixtureII
Trumpet8

Octave
Sub Octave
Tremulant

Sub Octave Choir to Great


Choir
Bell Gamba8
Stopped Diapason8
Dulciana8
Unda Maris8
Principal4
Suabe Flute4
Flageolet2
Cremona8
Swell to Choir

Pedal
Sub Bass32
Double Diapason16
Bourdon16
Violon16
Dulce8
Violoncello8
Trombone16

Swell to Great Unison
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal
Swell to Great Octave
Swell to Great Sub Octave

Four pistons to Swell
Four pistons to Great
Three pistons to Choir
Swell tremulant piston
Great to Pedal piston
Four toe pistons to Gt & Pedal comb.
Four toe pistons to Sw & Pedal comb.

◄ return to top of page