The Memorials in S Paul’s
Perhaps the most significant memorial in S Paul’s is the wooden 1914-1918 War Memorial which is displayed separately on this site.
However, S Paul’s has been adorned with some other interesting memorials to folk who have been associated with the church or have worshipped here
Click the links below for a brief description of some of these memorials :
In the Narthex, on the South wall beside the main entrance, is a handsome list of the Parish Priests of S Pauls.
It was carved in Welsh slate by Paul Wehrle, a local artist from Burgess Hill. He was an apprentice under John Skelton, who was apprenticed to and nephew of Eric Gill, the distinguished Arts & Crafts sculptor and stonecutter, who was born in Steyning and lived in Ditchling for most of his working life.
This memorial was commissioned to the memory of Father Gordon O’Loughlin.
On the heavy wooden gates of the main entrance are a number of polished brass memorials and, nearest the door, a small oak panel which used to be hidden away under the tower beside the door to the organ loft.
The inscription is now faded but reads:
THIS PLAQUE COMMORATES
A GENEROUS GIFT TOWARDS THE
REPAIRS TO THE TOWER OF THIS
CHURCH IN 1947 BY
H.I.M. HAILE SELASSIE
EMPEROR OF ETHIOPIA
AS A MARK OF APPRECIATION FOR
THE FIVE YEARS SPENT IN ENGLAND
BY HIS GRANDDAUGHTER
PRINCESS AIDA DESTA
The Brighton mackerel on these doors signify S Paul’s historic links with the fishing community.
The doors were designed and engraved by Sussex artist Mel Howse and are a memorial to Joyce Rolf, who belonged to two of Brighton’s historic fishing families, the Rolfs and the Gunns.
The inscriptions read: How Awesome is This Place / The House of God and Gate of Heaven (Genesis 28:17).
The brass plaque, which was unveiled by the Prime Minister, Mrs Margaret Thatcher, is beside the Nave doors on the West wall at the back of the church.
This picture shows the doors as they were at the time, before the new glass doors were given.
There are more details on a separate page about The Brighton Bomb.
A modern Romanian icon of S Silas was dedicated in loving memory of Fr John Milburn (Vicar 1964 -1985) by Fr Graeme C. Rowlands, Vicar of S Silas the Martyr, Kentish Town. Fr Graeme worshipped at S Paul’s as a boy and was the sacristan in Fr Milburn’s days.
A fine, polychromatic alabaster memorial on the North wall of the Chancel is dedicated to the memory of Fr Arthur Douglas Wagner, first vicar of S Paul’s.
This memorial brass is located on the wall of the South Aisle, near the altar of Our Lady.